City Hall is a civic building in Cathays Park, Cardiff, Wales. Built of Portland stone, it became the fifth building to serve as Cardiff’s centre of local government when it opened in October 1906. Its design, by architects Lanchester, Stewart and Rickards, is based on English and French Renaissance styles.
The Marble Hall
The first floor landing of City Hall is decorated with marble statues of famous figures from Welsh history:
- Boudicca by J. Havard Thomas
- Saint David by Sir William Goscombe John
- Hywel Dda (King Howell the Good) by F. W. Pomeroy
- Gerald of Wales by Henry Poole
- Llywelyn Ein Llyw Olaf (Llywelyn II, the last ruling Prince of Wales) by Henry Pegram
- Dafydd ap Gwilym by W. W. Wagstaff
- Owain Glyndŵr by Alfred Turner
- Henry VII by Ernest G. Gillick
- Bishop William Morgan by T. J. Clapperton
- William Williams, Pantycelyn by L. S. Merrifield
- Sir Thomas Picton by Thomas Mewburn Crook
Cardiff City Hall in popular culture
The cover of the Catatonia single Mulder and Scully has a UFO above the building similar to the movie poster for Independence Day.