Worgan delivers Llanelli killer blow

Two late, late Gethin Worgan penalties secured Bedwas a thoroughly deserved 30-23 victory over Llanelli in the Principality Premiership.

The home side showed plenty of guts and determination to overturn a halftime deficit of 9-20 with man of the match Deri Mattravers edging Bedwas in front with a barn storming run to the line. With time running out Worgan ensured there was no way back for Llanelli as Bedwas bounced back from their opening day defeat to Neath to record their first scalp of the campaign.

Bedwas started the match without James Pizey, who looks likely to be out for the season with ligament damage, and club captain Hywel Jenkins through a neck injury.

Mattravers led Bedwas out who played the first half playing into a stiff breeze. The home side took the game to their opponents, but Llanelli had the first opportunity but Luke Richards missed the opportunity from 35 metres. However he made amends minutes later slotting through the posts following good driving play from his forward pack.

From the restart Bedwas lock Jamie Murphy was adjudged to have tackled his opposite number in the air and found himself sin binned. Richards once again took the opportunity to stretch his team’s advantage.

Llanelli were well on top at this stage, putting Bedwas on the back foot by playing an expansive 15 man game. Bedwas hit back when Stuart Thomas’s penalty kick was gathered in by Llanelli full back Shingler, who was adjudged to have to held on the floor and Worgan stepped up to claim the three points.

Both sides looked to move the ball wide at every opportunity but Llanelli stretched their lead with an excellent individual try under the sticks by winger Ford, Richards adding the extras.

Bedwas responded with a well struck penalty from Worgan before poor tackling from the home side saw rangy back rower Rob McCusker charge through for a fine try, Richards once again converting.

Worgan added another penalty as Bedwas reached half time 9-20 adrift to a rampant Llanelli side.
Bedwas knew they had a battle on their hands to get back into the game against a side that attacked at every opportunity. Home winger Hitchings made a good break before being hauled just short of the try line. Richards’ tackle being adjudged unfair by the referee and the Llanelli pivot trudged off for 10 minutes. Worgan slotted the resultant penalty kick and Bedwas sensed this was their moment.

Lock Murphy charged through for a try and were right back in the mix. Richards came back from his sin binning to kick a further Llanelli penalty and put his side further ahead.

Bedwas were not going to be denied, however. A magnificent solo try from man of the match Mattravers following a strong run from 30 metres out converted by Worgan saw Bedwas edge 24-23 ahead for the first time in the match.

Bedwas continued to press for the match clinching points and these eventually came their way courtesy of two Worgan penalties to give Bedwas a hard earned 30-23 victory against a very skilful Llanelli side.

A disappointed Richards paid tribute to the victors, saying, “It was a game of two halves. We are a young side and I am the eldest in there! Bedwas are always a tough nut to crack for us; they just about deserved their win today. Best of luck to them it’s going to be physically tough this season for everyone.”


Leave a Reply